Tires are recyclable, and are used to make many products from roads to sandals. Albertans dispose of over 6 million tires each year. You can recycle the following tires by bringing them to Ryley Landfill:
- Car and light truck tires (pickup trucks, vans), and tires for other licensed highway vehicles such as motorcycles and trailers.
- Small commercial and recreational tires like all-terrain vehicles, off-road motorcycles (i.e. dirt bikes), as well as industrial tires fitting e.g. forklifts, smaller loaders and skid-steers.
- Medium truck tires, for example those used on larger commercial freight trucks and passenger buses.
- OTR used in construction, road building, forestry, mining, oil exploration and other industries.
For more information on eligible tires visit albertarecycling.ca.
Why Recycle Tires?
Every day, millions of vehicles are on the road. Of these millions, each vehicle travels an estimated 12,000 to 15,000 miles annually.
One of most important aspects of recycling and reusing waste tires is keeping them out of landfills. With their rounded, hollow shape, tires quickly take up precious space. Stored tires should never be burned as they can release harmful toxins into the air, soil and water.
Stored tires can also be a breeding ground for mosquitoes and rodents – not something we want to have lying around. Another important benefit of recycling and reusing tires is a reduction in energy consumption and an increase in energy recovery. Retreading a tire costs anywhere from 30 to 70 percent less than manufacturing a new tire, thereby reducing the cost to the consumer.
Make Your Tires Last
The first step to take before even discarding your tires is to lengthen the life of your tires. Here are some tips:
- Maintain proper tire pressure
- Avoid a lot of braking and accelerating
- Rotate and balance your tires, as well as check their alignment regularly
- Don’t replace all four tires if only one or two are worn
There are also a variety of options for reusing, rather than recycling, tires. It is common in some countries for people to even make sandals out of scrap tires. Other products include:
- Rubber bands
- Tree guards
- Garden ponds
- Livestock feeders
With some imagination, only the sky is the limit!