Municipal solid waste that is acceptable for collection means mixed household and commercial solid waste that is non-hazardous, and does not contain free liquid. Household garbage should be placed in tied bags to keep it contained and reduce attracting birds and other scavengers. Dry wastes should be broken into pieces (i.e. boards no longer than 3 feet – 910 millimetres – in length) in order that our truck compaction equipment can accept the waste. Heavy items, even if small, can cause problems with our collection equipment (i.e. concrete, shingles) and should not be placed in residential collection bins.
Hazardous wastes that are radioactive, reactive, ignitable, corrosive, pathological, acidic or otherwise hazardous cannot be picked up by collection equipment. Propane tanks cannot be picked up.
Large items, such as an old sofa should be brought to the Ryley landfill, or can be set aside for pick-up during our seasonal large item collection, occurring twice yearly (in the fall and spring).
- Municipal solid wastes
- Contaminated soils
- Class 2 industrial, non-hazardous wastes
- Construction and demolition debris – segregated concrete and rubble
- Household appliances
- Salvageable metals
- Loose wire and cable
- Tires – vehicle and off-road
- Electronic wastes including televisions, cell phones and computers/printers/monitors
- Waste paint
- Used oil, filters and containers
- Empty herbicide/pesticide containers, triple-rinsed
- Vehicle Batteries
- Non-BSE animal carcass waste*
* BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy) is considered a Specified Risk Material and is not accepted at our sites. This includes cattle that are road-killed, culled, or died of other natural causes.
Items NOT Accepted in the Landfill:
- Hot ashes
- Auto bodies
- Liquid waste (Water, gas)
- Biomedical waste (Medical needles, used bandages, etc.)
- Radioactive waste
- Explosive material (Propane tanks)
- Bagged household garbage
- Lawn clippings, hedge trimmings
- Scrap wood (3 feet or less in length)
Items NOT Accepted at Transfer Stations or in Residential/Commercial 3 or 4 yd Bins:
- Concrete, bricks, shingles
- No hot or cold ashes
- Tires, auto bodies, iron/steel products, batteries
- Household appliances
- Animal carcasses
- Large amounts of loose wire
- Liquid waste: water, gas
- Biomedical waste, explosive materials (propane tanks)
If you’re not sure about your waste, call us at 780-663-2038.